The UW-Madison Service Day Planning Committee, a group of academic and classified staff employees, encourages all UW-Madison employees and students to consider volunteering their time on Monday, May 16, a mandatory furlough day.
There will be organized volunteer opportunities or you can sign for your own volunteer activity. To get started, visit http://www.ohrd.wisc.edu/survey/event_survey.asp?id=3622
What is the UW Furlough Service Day and why should I sign-up to participate?
- It is an opportunity for all UW-Madison employees and students to work for the good of the community.
- Demonstrate the collective impact that UW-Madison employees and students have on our community.
- Let’s make something good out of the furlough day and recognize that even when we are given “lemons,” we can “make lemonade.”
How do I select my activity?
Participants register with UW-Madison’s Office of Human Resource Development (OHRD) http://www.ohrd.wisc.edu/survey/event_survey.asp?id=3622. On the registration site is a link to United Way and possible organized volunteer activities.
Am I required to select an activity posted on the United Way site?
No! Many of us already volunteer in our communities. Register as a Service Day participant and work with your organization during this time.
Can I volunteer for just a few hours?
Yes. The volunteer “shifts” are conceptualized as approximately 3 hours long.
Who is sponsoring the event?
- Council for Non-Represented Classified Staff (CNCS)
- AFSCME Local 171
- Madison Academic Staff Association (MASA)
- WSEU Local 2412
- Academic Staff Executive Committee (ASEC)
- University Bookstore
AFL-CIO Community Services Program of United Way of Dane County has helped us contact agencies about possible volunteer activities and provided the database for those activities. UW-Madison’s Office of Human Resource Development (OHRD) is providing registration assistance. The Division of Information Technology (DoIT) and University Communications are participating to make sure that the University community as well as the media is informed about these activities.